Our Amazon Wishlist - donate a gift to us and help to resource our school Porchester on Facebook Porchester on Flickr Porchester on Pinterest Porchester on Twitter Porchester on Tumblr Porchester on Vimeo Porchester on YouTube Login to Post Registers Report Concerns
Welcome to Porchester Junior School. Part of the Flying High Partnership.
contact
.

« Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year | Main | A Victorian Adventure »

January 07, 2019

Discussing events in the Victorian Times

This afternoon, as part of our new topic, we were looking at a range of events from the reign of Queen Victoria. After sorting all the events into a correct timeline, the class held a debate about which they thought were the three most important events of the Victorian age.

After lots of discussion they decided on four events*, and then reduced it to these three;

3eventsThe police force was chosen because it helped keep people safe from crime.

Electric lighting was chosen because it made dark areas lighter and safer to visit.

The Education Act because it meant that children did not have to work, and could instead go to school and learn important information to help them become knowledgeable.

*The fourth event was the building of the Houses of Parliament. In the end the class decided that the building wasn't critical, as laws and rules could still be made in other buildings if necessary.

|

Comments we have received about this article;

I am a teacher and about to start this topic with my class and I LOVE this idea! I hope you don't mind if I try it with my class.
....and I agree that though important the Houses of Parliament aren't critical...it's the work that happens within the building that is important!

Why not leave your own comment...

All comments are moderated, and will not appear on here until approved by the article author.

| Fair Processing Notice | Credits | Services | About Us | Technical |

All original content © Porchester Junior School 2008 - 2019

Top of Page

Ester and PJ